Monday, September 8, 2008

First Field Study

ok, so I deeply apologize, this post contains a lot of "ruins" pictures, but trust me, this is hardly a dent of all we saw on this very long, but great, day. Sunday was our first hard core all day field study. I'll give you a brief summary...and hang in there, there are a few good pics at the end. (-:

This is a piece of the "broad wall" spoken about in the Bible and was used by King Hezekiah. (We're talking B.C. here, but I don't remeber the exact date an am too lazy to climb up two flights of stairs to discover for you:-)
This wall of stones is on a sight that is still being excavated, but it is thought to be a part of the retaining wall for King David's palace. There is not enough proof yet, but it is a definite possibility. On a side note, Jerusalem is the most excavated "living" city. Everywhere we go, there are ruins being examined.

the ruins of a street leading to the ruins of the Jewish temple. Jesus walked on this street! (but, not the exact stones...these stones were from A.D. 60 when the road was re-stoned. lame, hu?)
literally- "Walking in the footsteps of Jesus" (-:
Caytlin, Ash, and I standing on the temple ruins

Having class on the steps of the temple. It's very likely that Jesus spoke here and Paul was trained as a boy on these steps. Crazy yeah?
Me, Matt, and Ashleigh...what can I say? the heat was getting to us. This pillar is from the Byzantine period and is in the midst of the temple ruins. mmmm, tasty...but I promise you all who are worried (...mom), the thousands of years of germs haven't killed me yet.
Ashleigh, Me, Kaitlyn, and Caytlin pretending we're part of the real temple crowd.

We then went to St. Anne's Cathedral (Mary's mother according to tradition) where the acoustics are amazing! (We sang "Be Thou My Vision"- probably the most beautiful sound I have ever heard). This Cathedral was located right by the pool of Bethesda which we also saw (but I'll spare you the pictures, just imagine the stones you've seen above and you've got it!) The pool is where Jesus healed the paralytic and also where tradition says Mary (Jesus' mother) grew up.
We finished off the night by climbing up to the top of a hostel that had a breathtaking view of the city.
alrighty, time to go find me some chocolate toast, mmm. next post...kids and THE WALL, (forboding emotions inserted here) dundundunDUN!





3 comments:

Rebekah said...

I love the sepia pic at the end--it just looks cool.

And I'm glad ancient germs haven't killed you. After all, I kind of miss you. It would be sad if they did. ;)

AC said...

You walked on a cobblestone road from A.D. 60? Yeah, very lame! ;0)

Anonymous said...

Naomi!

It is so exciting to see all your pics and remember Scott and my time there! Looks like you are taking full advantage of all that the area has to offer. :) Love looking at your pics and reading your comments about your field studies, etc. :) Say hello to Paul, Diane, and Cyndi for me please!

blessings,

Monica